Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mechanical Alignment, Sitting v. Smoking, and Japanese Interiors: Or A Glimpse into How My Brain Works

Image source

To say I came home FIRED UP after my one day intensive with biomechanist/whole body alignment creator/genius, Katy Bowman, is a bit of an understatement.

I also had a chance to meet my very young and small and soft and cute baby nephew while in Ohio for this intensive, and I came home with a gift from him -- a wee flu bug (poor baby boy!) -- but that did not prevent me from feeling like my head might EXPLODE from the GOODNESS of all that I learned with Katy.

Though it will take me months (years?) to really integrate what I learned into dance (and I plan to continue with some deeper, longer term study with Katy), the process has, surprisingly to me, already begun.

I taught my ExploreDance: Ballet on Tuesday and found different, better ways to teach the same principles.

YAY! for learning!

Excuse this post but we are going to do a bit of jumping around here (which is GREAT for your pelvic floor, by the way...hahaha).

If you haven't already, please start thinking about the fact that Sitting is the New Smoking.

Over the coming weeks (months, years, forevah!...) on this blog and in my in-person teaching, we will begin to really break down what that means in our daily lives.

And I have decided to share my own progress around this issue with you.

I have a few goals.

First, I know I need a standing workstation, so I will track my progress for you on that.

Second, I want to re-do how we live in our space, our home.

And thus Japanese interior design.

Or I should say TRADITIONAL Japanese interior design, to be precise.

When we export our culture, we don't just send a crappy diet, but we also share our love of big, soft couches and lazy-freaking-worst-thing-ever-boys.

I would like to reverse this for our home, formally known as The Lilypad, and import some Asian sensibility.

This means forcing us to be on the floor more -- where you can stretch and move about and make those hips and everything else to do the work they were designed to do, rather than just squishing your parts into squishy furniture making more squishy parts on your body.

Again, I will track our progress here on the blog.

For now, try to walk more, 'kay?  I worry about you.