Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dance to This: Max Richter

Max Richter is my new composer crush. I found him during one of my many-hours-long music digs that I do on iTunes...just following one piece to the next, searching for whatever it is that lights my mind on fire with ideas and imaginings.

And then I found that he had done this: He has re-composed Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Just re-written them, keeping the main themes but making them brand new in breathtaking, soul flying ways.

For this piece of music, start by standing and breathing and asking yourself..."What am I currently stuck on? What is something that I cannot let go of?"

Don't ruminate.  And go with the very first thing that pops into your head.

Don't tell stories.  Just get the thing.

Then hold it in your body, in your chest, to be exact.

Don't stare at it or touch it; just hold it there.

Then move.

After you are done, check with it and see if it has changed at all.

Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary.