Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes = Happy, Healthy Body


This is one of my elder dancers who is approaching 80. She is strong and lithe and balanced and quick. Everything we all hope for as we age.

She is willing to try anything, to challenge herself continuously, to take risks.

That is a mindset that has nothing to do with age but everything to do with aging.

People just quit. They hit an age that they've been taught is the "beginning of the decline" and they use that as an excuse to not try anything new and to slow down, and then they complain that they don't feel as good as they used to.

Classic self-fulfilling prophecy.

But my elder dancers will have none of that.

They understand that change is the key to health -- of mind, spirit, and body.

Every Tuesday and Thursday when they come to class, they know that they have no idea what we'll be doing. Sure, some of it will be familiar but every week, some of it will be new.

This is how I approach all of my classes.

There are things we almost always do. Basic sorts of things that help us to warm up but after that...anything can happen.

I cannot put it any better than I did on Facebook recently and this I know for sure:

If you focus your physical efforts on a static formal paradigm (anything from ballet to yoga to martial arts to weight lifting), you will eventually create a static physical form in your body. 

The key is constant change and experimentation. 

I pride myself on my insatiable desire to learn more about human movement potential. I teach classes that are always changing so that your body can be its best, its strongest, its most radiantly creative. This fluid potentiality of the physical form translates to the same in your mind and spirit. 

And you don't have to wait to be one of my "elder dancers;" you could start RIGHT NOW.