Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Move to This: Kaija Saariaho

I wrote recently about my dismay (and anger...) when I realized how little work female composers get (and all other female artists, really), and the result of that is my focus from now on in these Move to This posts on the work of women.

I am particularly fond of more avant garde forms of contemporary classical. Don't worry...sometimes these posts will just highlight some good POP!

But pop music is pretty limiting when it comes to movement work.  I find that my body does more interesting and new things when the music is deeply unexpected.

This piece certainly fits the "unexpected" bill.

Stay with it.

Even if you feel like you hate it, stay with THAT and keep moving. (This is a metaphor for life, after all.)

This is a piece by Finnish composer Kaija Saariaho.

Just try.