Thursday, July 18, 2013

Stuff in My Head

The lilies are still at it
These are random bits that have been floating around in my head that would not make for individual posts but are certainly worth sharing:

  • I am re-reading Stephen Cope's The Great Work of Your Life, which uses the Bhagavad Gita as the base from which he tells tales of people following and NOT following their dharma.

I bring this up because this book is so good that I am re-reading it after having just read it in January of this year. Get it. Live it.

  • Today in class, we were discussing injury, and it stayed in my head while we were moving through our spinal circles, and I said, "Oh...my approach to injury is to NEVER STOP...you just find new ways of working with and strengthening whatever caused the injury to begin with." To which one of my wise students added, "ICE AND ACTIVITY."

Precisely. Ice and activity. NEVER stop.

As Ido Portal recently said on Facebook:  "You think yourself immobile way before you are actually immobile. You first have to think yourself into movement, before you can actually move."

  • More Facebook wisdom. Katy from Aligned and Well shared this: "The quantity of bone you are able to take with you into later life is established by early puberty. For more than 30 years, researchers have characterized osteoporosis as a pediatric disorder manifesting itself in later life. So when are we going to talk about our habit of sitting kids down for 8 hours of most of the days of most of the years of their bone building lives?"

If that doesn't make you re-thing, well, EVERYTHING, I don't know what will.

  • And one of the "everythings" is how we organize our homes. I have been obsessed for some time now with the idea of emulation traditional Japanese interior design, and while my brain is still in the "thinking about it" phase, one of my students, kicked her couch to the curb. Literally. Go here to read about it!

How could you reorganize the physical structure of your interior life to create a healthier body and mind?

  • If you know of anyone who lives with epilepsy, a local artist and friend has started an awesome blog, writing honest, eye-opening posts about living with the possibility of seizure from day to day and still having an awesome, full, beautiful, creative life.  Go here and check her out.

Pass her around. Please.

  • Finally, my free online 11 day dance sadhana has grown to over 250 people -- beyond my wildest dreams at this point and we are still two weeks away.  If you want to explore dance as a daily spiritual practice, this is your chance to get a taste of what I do. I'll be posting videos to this private secret closed awesome page each of the 11 days.

Please pay attention to the fact that there are TWO steps to get into the group.