Friday, September 6, 2013

It's YOUR Practice: How I am Now Officially a Broken Record

The full un-cropped version of the new banner photo
I guess it has a lot to do with what we do to children from such a young age.

When I was little, I didn't get sent to pre-school or anything. (This was almost 40 years ago.) And I started Kindergarten a wee bit late because we were moving and it would have meant a school change and that seemed like a lot.

Now? NOW we can't wait to get them in school and the sooner the better.

Regardless of your current age, when you were little you were sent to school and made to sit in seats at desks in rows for hours on end.

You walked in lines, with "no touching."  You ate what was put in front of you.  You read and learned what was put in front of you and you regurgitated it back.

Here's the thing that is amazing to me: That STUCK.

REALLY STUCK.

No matter how many times I yell (and yes. I YELL THIS): "THIS IS YOUR PRACTICE! DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU! MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES!"

No matter how many times I yell that and a hundred variations, I have to yell it MORE.

There is NO yelling this ENOUGH, apparently.

Something inside people...is so frightened of freedom.

Of course. It was beaten out of us so young.

But I am here to tell you (to yell this at you): IT IS YOURS FOR THE TAKING.

In MY space? Whether virtual or in real life? FREEDOM IS YOURS FOR THE TAKING.

Buck up, cowgirls.