Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Changing My Mind: Mantra Walk


The weather has warmed up a bit so I took the chance to go for a walk in one of our city parks. (Those are some of my favorite trees -- Austrian pines.)

I decided to try a Gandhi approach and repeat a mantra the whole time. Which I pretty much managed. I think there was only one lapse where I had to put myself back on task.

One of my core stories that runs pretty consistently through my mind is about my health. I am constantly on the lookout for something to be wrong. And if there is even a hint of anything, my mind spins and weaves at the speed of light. Probably faster than that, actually.

This story set feels like one that I need to get rid of, like, now.

Every time I hear/notice one of the stories being spun, I try to overlay it, stop it with some repeated mantras that are very much the truth about this body.

So today's walk included this, repeated over and over, step after step:

I am healthy.
I am happy.
I am strong.
I am full of energy.

Because connected to my health stories, I have this story about being tired and lazy.

But after observing myself over the last couple of weeks, I've come to realize that I am not physically tired but mentally tired, which is understandable after a lifetime of depression.

Physically I am...well...like the mantra says, full of energy.

I can go go go and then rest a wee bit and go go go some more.

But there's that word: REST.

The lazy part of my story is attached to that. I seem to have this idea that I should never need rest. That I should be able to go at top speed just about 24/7.

Which is totally redonk.

See? Brain not very bright; Mind getting stronger.

If you want to explore more deeply how to create an at-home dance sadhana (spiritual path) practice, you could join my super secret Facebook group, Inferno of Awesome. This group is invisible until you're added. FIRST, make sure you are my friend on FB, and SECOND, ask me to add you.