Friday, December 6, 2013

Changing My Mind: Music

I broke one of my main rules while I was in that cycle of depression, and coming out of it, I remembered: be aware of the music you listen to. MUSIC IS MEDICINE. Or it's a toxin. Like any medicine, it can go either way depending on your body in the moment and your need.

While I was still deeper in the depression (and yes, I am coming out thanks to this majorly mindful approach to the care of my brain...thanks to readers like you who inspire me and help hold me accountable)...While I was still deeper in the depression, I was only listening to "soothing" and "calming" music.

Umm. NO.

I tell myself that it helps me to stay centered but really? It helps me stay stuck in the crap. Soothing and calm is okay, of course, if you are feeling okay, but it matched -- let's say -- the frequency of my depression and thus fed it.

I thought today I would share one of this videos I made in August for the initial 11 day dance sadhana that I ran on Facebook. It talks about this idea a bit more.




If you want to explore more deeply how to create an at-home dance sadhana (spiritual path) practice, you could join my super secret Facebook group, Inferno of Awesome. This group is invisible until you're added. FIRST, make sure you are my friend on FB, and SECOND, ask me to add you.