Friday, April 18, 2014

Are You Tough Enough for Ordinary Love?

You may have noticed that I've added a new tagline to all my banners from here to Facebook to YouTube.
Dance is the path.
Love is the territory.

It came to me weeks ago, of course, while I was chanting.

I think it's the most clear and succinct articulation of my work ever.

If you understand those two tiny sentences or the potentiality contained within those two tiny sentences, then you're definitely one of my peeps.

If you don't get it...if it seems silly or cheesy or trite...then you're not.

Since I changed that tagline, I've been thinking more and more deeply about the concept of love. I guess, too, because I just ran a workshop about unconditional love and because I've started a two to three year process of an 800 hour yoga philosophy course, which really comes down to studying the many ways we separate from and join back to the ultimate reality, which, for me, is this love stuff.

I begin to notice more and more and MORE how messed up we are about love.

How much we fall for the idea that it's a feeling...that it's something that makes us FEEL a certain way.

That's romantic "in-love."

LOVE IS AN ACTIVE VERB.

A feeling is a passive noun.

LOVE IS THE WAY WE WALK THROUGH THIS WORLD.

A feeling is fleeting.

LOVE IS THE WAY WE TREAT OURSELVES AND EVERY SINGLE LIVING BEING AROUND US.

A feeling the becomes narcissistic*.

(An important note: I use this term loosely -- as in "only for self" and not as a reference to the disease model.)

A lot of us are pretty focused on things like "awakening our kundalini" or "becoming enlightened" or "tapping into our higher selves."

But really? We can't even deal with ordinary love. Which is just the starting point.

The day to day starting over even when things are hard.

The minute to minute making choices that include everyone and not just ourselves.

The breath to breath remembering of who we really are and how it has nothing to do with anything but each other.

And then Bono goes and totally explains it all in a song...




If you want to explore more deeply how to create an at-home dance sadhana (spiritual path) practice, you could join my super secret Facebook group, Inferno of Awesome. This group is invisible until you're added. FIRST, make sure you are my friend on FB, and SECOND, ask me to add you.