Thursday, July 3, 2014

Be Nice to the Animal (It's Worth Repeating)

The animal, working in the studio
Sometimes when I do something wrong or silly or even if I just drop something or make some mistake with the Chipotle's order (just happened the other day and it was so very minor)...sometimes, in moments like that, I start yelling at myself.

"Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!"

If it's really bad, I have been known to smack my own head. (Reality is not shiny, folks.)

Some time ago, when Marcy had just had ENOUGH of this, she turned to me and said, "Would you talk like that to a CAT?! Or a RABBIT?!"

Talk about cold water to the face!

NEVER. Never would I speak like that to one of our precious cats or rabbits.

I stared at her blankly and in one of her many moments of genius, she continued, "Be NICE to the Animal!"

We occasionally call one another animal, so you know. It worked.

BE NICE TO THE ANIMAL.

YOU are the animal.

I use this now with students and I invite you to use it with yourself.

Every time the inner meanies get going on their ugly, just say, BE NICE TO THE ANIMAL!

Perhaps write this on post it notes and put it...everywhere.


You can now learn how to teach dance as a spiritual practice! My first teacher training is coming at the end of September! Just visit the "Teacher Training" tab at the top of this page.

If you want to explore more deeply how to create an at-home dance sadhana (spiritual path) practice, you could join my super secret Facebook group, Inferno of Awesome. This group is invisible until you're added. FIRST, make sure you are my friend on FB, and SECOND, ask me to add you.