Thursday, August 7, 2014

Our Big Adventure: The Space Between Us

Another from the Gorge
I picked that tree photo before knowing how I would start this piece and then the tree told me...

Trees packed too tightly together, of course, won't grow to their full potential. They need space to reach toward the sun and space for their roots to get their share of water.

People are the same.

Though from what I am learning about myself in relationship and from what I observe around me, it seems we've lost that bit of knowledge and turned ourselves away from our tree nature and into more of an entangled ivy where you can't tell where one strand begins and another ends.

And if you look at all the unhappiness in the world, well, I think we need to spend more time learning from trees.

This all brings to mind the words of Khalil Gibran:

“Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.”

And so we come to my announcement of our Big Adventure. FINALLY!

Today we will sign the financial papers to purchase the house right next door.

Yep. Through all of this, the house next door happened to be for sale.

A house we have always coveted if not just to have more backyard for some fruit trees, but also a house we have coveted for other deeper reasons, teasing one another that we would do better if we could live in separate houses and then spend time together but not ALL the time.

A shared separateness that allows for our creative lives and for our different needs.

I need more time and space for my spiritual practices. There is a monk inside of me who needs silence and not just when I go on an occasional retreat.

Change and transition can be difficult. Figuring out the details can be overwhelming.

But overall, I am beyond excited for this next phase of my life.

Just within the few weeks since we decided to do this, I have experienced profound levels of self understanding that would not have come otherwise.

I will be writing about this, of course, from my perspective as an Aspie (who feels utter relief), from my perspective as a 45 year old woman who has never once lived totally on her own (even though Marcy IS right next door...and we are surrounded by friends but you know what I mean), and from my perspective as a creative who will be changing how she works so that she might work more deeply, starting with turning the entire first floor of the house into my in-home studio and doing all my daily living on the second floor (there will be pictures of that transition!).

Oh, my...the places we'll go...

You can now learn how to teach dance as a spiritual practice! My first teacher training is coming at the end of September! Just visit the "Teacher Training" tab at the top of this page.

If you want to explore more deeply how to create an at-home dance sadhana (spiritual path) practice, you could join my super secret Facebook group, Inferno of Awesome. This group is invisible until you're added. FIRST, make sure you are my friend on FB, and SECOND, ask me to add you.