Tuesday, August 26, 2014

What Kind of Person Are You?



That sweet bracelet was a recent gift from one of my teen students at the residential center who was being discharged and sent home. She gave it to me suddenly and right off her own wrist and just smiled and kinda jogged away, leaving me -- very atypically -- a bit speechless.

I had no idea even just a short while ago that this was the kind of person I am -- someone able to get through to these tweens and teens who have had such difficult and sometimes horrendous lives so far.

This is to illustrate the importance of allowing our stories about ourselves to EVOLVE.

I've written here about the idea of being aware of the story of your life and the power you have to CHOOSE that story and not be chosen by it. (It's one of my favorite posts, actually.)

Today, I wanted to take this to a different place.

What kind of person are you?

I love this question and I love the sentence we're going to play with because it's short like a mantra and it feels prayerful and it can be used in the moment to remind you to remember who you really are and that you're not whatever bundle of negative crap your piling on yourself in any one instance.

So...fill in this sentence. Fill it in with the most positive version of yourself. And this version really exists, trust me, or the words wouldn't come to you. All you have to do is look back over your life through this filter and you'll find all the evidence you need.

You can fill it in a couple of times and you can keep working with it -- again, allowing it to evolve.

Fill in the blank:

I am the kind of person who  ________________________.

Here are some of mine that came to mind right away as examples:

I am the kind of person who feels fear and takes action anyway.

I am the kind of person who gets ideas and then makes them happen.

See?

Your turn!
You can now learn how to teach dance as a spiritual practice! My first teacher training is coming at the end of September! Just visit the "Teacher Training" tab at the top of this page.

If you want to explore more deeply how to create an at-home dance sadhana (spiritual path) practice, you could join my super secret Facebook group, Inferno of Awesome. This group is invisible until you're added. FIRST, make sure you are my friend on FB, and SECOND, ask me to add you.