Thursday, October 16, 2014

Back to the Beginning...

Playing on the last day of the week-long immersion
Next week, I will be teaching the last three classes in my current studio space. I've been in there for just over three years.

Buying the house next door so that Marcy and I could have more space was the final signal that I needed to give up my lease. I had been thinking about it for well over a year. Though I love the space, something about the way I have been doing this work was not working for me.

I had just sorta fallen into this typical studio model of working. It wasn't something that I decided from a totally awake place. Sometimes when things happen easily, we can mistake that for "supposed to happen." Sometimes we read meaning where there is simply coincidence.

Now I have a lovely (though smaller) studio space on the first floor of my house. I love love love this so much and am slowly transitioning the first floor into a place of deep exploration and creativity.

At the end of October, I will be heading to Kripalu for 8 days, and after that, I am taking the months of November and December to focus completely on my own practice and discern next steps.

I am heading back to the beginning...

When I returned to dance at the age of 40, for the first 9 months, all I did was my own practice. I didn't teach or share this with anyone. I would dance by myself every single day for 2 to 3 hours. I broke it up in to sections throughout the day and I spent time playing with different forms, from ballet to modern to tap to just my own thing.

I threw in strength training and some mixed yoga.

I became deeply immersed -- obsessed even. And I was so damn happy.

Looking back into my life, this way of being with dance started out so very young.

I did not take my first formal dance class until I was about 8 years old, but I had loved to dance for myself since I could walk.

And after I started taking classes, my primary way of engaging dance was still by myself. Every single day after school, I would head to the basement of our house where I had a small studio and I would put in my time.

For two whole months, this is what I will be doing: Dancing, walking, reading, writing, dancing...

I need to make next choices from this place of personal integrity -- where dance is just who I am and not "what I do."

I think things could get pretty damn exciting from there!
If you want to get a taste of how we create more happy, strength, and connection through the practice of Kintsugi Dance, you could join my super secret Facebook group, Inferno of Awesome. This group is invisible until you're added. FIRST, make sure you are my friend on FB, and SECOND, ask me to add you.